My services as a freelance proofreader and copy-editor are underpinned by a lifetime of obsessive reading on a vast range of subjects. I believe strongly in helping authors to express themselves clearly and succinctly, ensuring that their work is not marked by typos, grammatical errors or uncorrected inconsistencies that interfere with the text flow. I am happy to tackle academic publications, general subjects and business material, and provide assistance to self-publishing authors including those for whom English is not their first language.
- Freelance since 2009 following a career in advertising and PR. I spent 13 years in the Royal Household, including five years as a Press Officer and the remainder managing The Queen’s Private Office. Experience in writing press releases and production of Palace publications.
- Research and proofing for books on the Royal Family by William Shawcross and Andrew Marr
- Proof-editing PhD theses
- Anthologies of poetry and prose
- Ebooks on medical issues written for the general public
- Catalogues for major calligraphy exhibitions
Qualifications and awards
Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Cansford Laboratories
- Canterbury Press
- Souvenir Press
- Self-publishing authors and PhD candidates
Gilly’s work is meticulous and tenacious. Her eye for detail is acute and at every step she ensured that the sense of the document was consistent. She wonderfully handled my regular panics too! I would have no hesitation in recommending Gilly’s service as proofreader or copy editor. I could not have been in safer hands.
Dr Claire Collins, Henley Business School
Gilly Middleburgh edited both our brochure and the chapter of a book for publication. Despite not being a scientist, she not only corrected any mistakes but also enhanced the text so that it made more sense. We will certainly ask her to help with future publications.
Lolita Tsanaclis & John Wicks, Cansford Laboratories
Gilly Middleburgh has undertaken a series of pieces of work for me in order to prepare my books for publication. She has done this with extreme care and professionalism. She enhanced the finished product without a doubt.
Professor Amanda Kirby
Areas of interest and expertise include:
- Judaism and Jewish studies
- Craft and calligraphy
- 07740 619090
- 01443 223309