If you need a highly skilled, professional proofreader and copy editor with many years of experience, I am here to help.
As a writer myself, I understand the need to find a trustworthy, dependable editor, someone who will give your work the same level of care and attention that you have given it.
I graduated from the University of Oxford in 2001. Since then, I have clocked up 20 years of experience working with content of all types (including in-depth knowledge of presenting web content).
I am in the final stages of writing my own novel, a mystery set in the south of France, so have knowledge of character arcs, plot points, dialogue and more.
I will begin by gathering your full requirements to ensure I deliver exactly what you need. I will communicate with you throughout the project and will deliver high-quality work on time, with tracked changes and comments if applicable.
Please contact me if I sound like a good fit for your project, or if you would like to find out more (including a free sample edit). I look forward to working with you.
- Proofreading web content, including looking out for SEO, accessibility and user experience issues
- Copyediting and proofreading fiction, non-fiction and children’s books
- Freelance copy editor and proofreader (2018–present)
- Senior digital content production officer, Cardiff University (2007–2020)
- Website manager, International Baccalaureate (2004–2007)
- Webmaster and project assistant, University of Oxford’s Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine (2001–2004)
Qualifications and awards
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) – entry-level member and completed ‘Introduction to Copyediting’ course
- Oxford University – BA Hons in French and Portuguese
- Scholastic-Quill Club Writers for their Write Now programme (editing and proofreading short stories)
- Arzu Tunca, independent publisher at Life Is Publishing (proofreading non-fiction final layout)
- BICERO, provider of lifelong-learning courses for professionals (extensive content editing for website and course copy)
- Tattiana Kifile, children’s author (copyediting)
- Hoi Pham, fiction author (copyediting)
Deborah is the best proofreader we have worked with, thorough, responsive and fair pricing. Will definitely be working with her for future tasks.
Mark Whittle, Virtual Reality Experiences (VRE) Ltd
Fast and accurate work, flexible to work any time. She is awesome. I will keep working with her.
Tattiana Kifile, children’s author
Deborah’s work conforms to the highest standards of editing and proofreading…We’ve been working with her for a few years and rely on her for well-edited work, on time, all the time.
Hemant Kumar, author and founding editor of Quill Club Writers
Deborah was responsive to the many queries I had. Particularly helpful was her feedback as to why she suggested her changes, instead of simply making the changes. The edits were provided on time and Deborah kept me updated throughout the project. Prior to being award the contract, Deborah also generously provided a free sample edit so we could both assess whether our working styles were compatible. She was also available to speak via video conference instead of solely relying on chat. If you’re looking for an editor, I recommend Deborah.
Hoi Pham, author
I had a very pleasant experience with Deborah. She delivered excellent work, going above and beyond my expectations, and completing a day before the deadline. It is clear that she put her heart into the work, not just her mind. The editing and proof-reading is spotless. And on top, she made suggestions to revise some parts based on how it made her feel as a reader, which I find very valuable. She even caught a mistake I made in mathematical calculation! She kept me posted throughout the process, and reached out for clarification when needed. I would definitely work with her if there is another opportunity.
Meltem Kusku, author