If you need a highly skilled, professional proofreader and copyeditor with many years of experience, I am here to help.
As a writer myself, I understand the need to find a trustworthy, dependable editor, someone who will give your work the same level of care and attention that you have given it.
I graduated from the University of Oxford in 2001. Since then, I have clocked up 20 years of experience working with content of all types (including in-depth knowledge of presenting web content).
I am in the final stages of writing my own novel, a mystery set in the south of France, so have knowledge of character arcs, plot points, dialogue and more.
I will begin by gathering your full requirements to ensure I deliver exactly what you need. I will communicate with you throughout the project and will deliver high-quality work on time, with tracked changes and comments if applicable.
Please contact me if I sound like a good fit for your project, or if you would like to find out more. I look forward to working with you.
- Proofreading web content, including looking out for SEO, accessibility and user experience issues
- Copyediting and proofreading fiction, non-fiction and children’s books
- Freelance copyeditor and proofreader (2018–present)
- Senior digital content production officer, Cardiff University (2007–2020)
- Website manager, International Baccalaureate (2004–2007)
- Webmaster and project assistant, University of Oxford’s Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine (2001–2004)
Qualifications and awards
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) – entry-level member and completed ‘Introduction to Copyediting’ course
- Oxford University – BA Hons in French and Portuguese
- Kaden Hogan, author of Humans of Climate Change (line editing and copyediting)
- Lentiamo, online international seller of glasses and contact lenses (proofreading website)
- Wikijob, extensive website covering all things employment, recruitment and finances (editing blog articles)
- BOLDIFY, seller of hair products (proofreading packaging and email marketing copy)
- GreenTEG, provider of CORE technology (editing blog content and email marketing copy)
- INLEAD, provider of online courses (proofreading website and online course content)
- Kaan Sensoy, director, photographer and CGI artist (copyediting and proofreading of photo-guidebook)
- Sophie Jian, global leader and creative entrepreneur (line editing and copyediting web copy)
- Ann-Elizabeth Wittke, fiction author (line editing, copyediting and proofreading trilogy of novels)
- Ginette Gagnon, leadership coach, speaker and author (editing and proofreading business course content)
- Jérrard Wayne, branding organisation (editing web copy for their clients)
- NTG Ltd, precision engineering (proofreading website and marketing copy)
- Griffiths Evans, mechanical, electrical and ICT consulting and design services (proofreading website)
- Cephalgo, provider of innovative mood tracking software (proofreading website)
- Aspaara, artificial intelligence solutions (proofreading website)
- Scholastic-Quill Club Writers for their Write Now programme (editing and proofreading short stories)
- Arzu Tunca, independent publisher at Life Is Publishing (proofreading non-fiction final layout)
- BICERO, provider of lifelong-learning courses for professionals (extensive content editing for website and course copy)
- Hoi T Pham, fiction author (copyediting)
It was an absolute pleasure to work with Debbie. She is an excellent editor and she goes well beyond basic proofreading. Debbie also worked extra hours in order for us to meet a tight deadline. She is commutative and friendly. I hope that we can work together again in the near future.
Kaden Hogan, non-fiction author
We have worked together with Deborah on my first book project. She did editorial correction as well as proofreading on this project. I can honestly say that she added a lot of value to my book. She is very professional and punctual also sincerely involving the project and works on details that I have overlooked a lot. So I am very happy to work with her. Thanks again, Deborah!”
Kaan Sensoy, photographer and author
Deborah always listens very carefully and is professional in both her communication and delivery. I’ve always been very satisfied with her work 🙂 It’s of great value for me that I can give Deborah a task and be sure that she will deliver a top result. I never have to worry and it saves me a bunch of time!
Nadine M, regular client
Deborah is great. Can’t recommend her enough. Such a nice person, pleasant to work with, super professional with great attention to detail. I will 100% ask her help again in the near future.
Gal A, Danidean Ltd
Debbie has helped us to improve localisation of the UK version of our website. Our initial concern was mostly only with proofreading of the English language, but Debbie went beyond the expectations and also proactively suggested changes to the overall content / UX. She clearly understood the bigger picture here and went beyond the task expectations to help us. In addition to that, Debbie communicated consistently, provided us with regular updates, suggested changes to our approach, etc. 110% satisfaction with the job she did, would highly recommend to anyone.
David D, Lentiamo s.r.o.
Deborah did an excellent job editing my manuscript for a children’s book. She offered suggestions to make my writing better and was very knowledgeable and friendly. I would highly recommend Deborah for any editing and proofreading services that you need.
Melissa Clarke, children’s author
Deborah went above and beyond expectations. A project of this magnitude was a first for me and I was looking for a professional editor with years of experience to learn from. Deborah is exactly that, a professional who takes her time to explain, guide and listen. With her high-quality edits and suggestions, she brought the story to life and delivered a fantastic manuscript. She was easy to work with, highly approachable, accommodating and she even delivered a few of our milestones ahead of schedule. I’m looking forward to our next project in the near future!
Ann-Elizabeth Wittke, fiction author
Deborah is the best proofreader we have worked with, thorough, responsive and fair pricing. Will definitely be working with her for future tasks.
Mark Whittle, Virtual Reality Experiences (VRE) Ltd
Debbie produced fantastic work for us and managed to do it in a quick turnaround. We will definitely be working with her again for any future editing or writing tasks.
Sonia Kaur, Creative Operations Manager, Jérrard Wayne
Fast and accurate work, flexible to work any time. She is awesome. I will keep working with her.
Tattiana Kifile, children’s author
Deborah’s work conforms to the highest standards of editing and proofreading…We’ve been working with her for a few years and rely on her for well-edited work, on time, all the time.
Hemant Kumar, author and founding editor of Quill Club Writers
Deborah was responsive to the many queries I had. Particularly helpful was her feedback as to why she suggested her changes, instead of simply making the changes. The edits were provided on time and Deborah kept me updated throughout the project. Prior to being award the contract, Deborah also generously provided a free sample edit so we could both assess whether our working styles were compatible. She was also available to speak via video conference instead of solely relying on chat. If you’re looking for an editor, I recommend Deborah.
Hoi T Pham, fiction author
Deborah delivered excellent work, going above and beyond my expectations, and completing a day before the deadline. It is clear that she put her heart into the work, not just her mind. The editing and proof-reading is spotless. And on top, she made suggestions to revise some parts based on how it made her feel as a reader, which I find very valuable. She even caught a mistake I made in mathematical calculation! She kept me posted throughout the process, and reached out for clarification when needed. I would definitely work with her if there is another opportunity.
Meltem Kusku, non-fiction author