I’m a professionally trained proofreader and copyeditor who you can rely on to ensure your readers aren’t stopped in their tracks by errors.
With experience in the public, private and third sectors, I can work with different audiences and purposes in mind.
I’ve edited and re-written Annual Reports & Accounts, edited expert witness medico-legal reports and worked on fiction and non-fiction, including biographies, memoirs, contemporary fiction, academic essays, art, young-adult, poetry and short stories.
With a 2:1 degree in English Literature from Cardiff University and as an intermediate member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading, my trained eye will help your writing to meet a professional standard – whether you’re a first-time or experienced author, or a business looking to improve communication with clients.
I’m experienced with many genres and subjects:
- Outdoor literature: exploration, survival, mountaineering, climbing, cycling, adventure and nature.
- Contemporary fiction
- Education: teaching resources, strategy documents, school prospectuses
- Public-sector documents and corporate reports: annual accounts, strategy, tenders
- Marketing materials: blogs, newsletters
- Medico-legal reports and expert witness documents
- Copyediting – to improve sentence structure, remove awkward phrases and correct syntax. I’ll provide gentle but clear feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Proofreading – bringing consistency and accuracy to your print or online materials
With all projects, I’ll create a bespoke style guide.
I’ve got three years’ freelance experience with a leading independent Welsh publisher. I’ve also worked with independent writers and businesses.
Combined with over 20 years as a senior communications professional in the public sector, my experience means your words will receive the attention they deserve.
You want someone who’s affordable, easy to get hold of and will meet your deadline. Work with me and you won’t be disappointed.
Training and qualifications
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) – intermediate member and trained in:
- Copyediting Headway (Merit)
- Copyediting Introduction
- Proofreading Headway (Merit)
- Proofreading Progress (Distinction)
- Introduction to proofreading
- Editorial Skills for Business – The Publishing Training Company
- BA (Hons) English Literature 2:1, Cardiff University
Gina has brought a clear, detailed and professional approach to all the projects she has assessed and proofed for us. We look forward to working with her on new work.
Dr Richard Davies, Parthian Books
As a new author I realised there’s so much more to presenting a manuscript professionally for final book design. This is where Gina really helped and delivered. She prepared my manuscript meticulously and also highlighted a few areas for clarification. It was the final, and very reassuring stage in the process for me. I can recommend Gina’s approach – a telephone conversation to understand the requirements followed up by a clear timetable.
D. Wild, self-published author
Gina has been working with us on a voluntary basis for three years now, proofreading our quarterly Mountain Rescue magazine. Her professional and efficient approach, and her attention to detail took us to a new level which she has continued to maintain. She is always quick to respond, and work with me to turn things round within our admittedly tight deadlines. As a very small design and production team of one, I have always espoused high production values and, thanks to Gina’s input, I am extra confident that we are producing a top-class publication that can stand proudly within the outdoor sports and emergency services sector.
Judy Whiteside, Editor & Publicity Officer, Mountain Rescue Magazine