If you need a highly skilled, professional proofreader and copyeditor with many years of experience, I am here to help.
As a writer myself, I understand the need to find a trustworthy, dependable editor, someone who will give your work the same level of care and attention that you have given it.
I graduated from the University of Oxford in 2001. Since then, I have clocked up 20 years of experience working with content of all types (including in-depth knowledge of presenting web content).
I am in the final stages of writing my own novel, a mystery set in the south of France, so have knowledge of character arcs, plot points, dialogue and more.
I will begin by gathering your full requirements to ensure I deliver exactly what you need. I will communicate with you throughout the project and will deliver high-quality work on time, with tracked changes and comments if applicable.
Please contact me if I sound like a good fit for your project, or if you would like to find out more (including a free sample edit). I look forward to working with you.
- Proofreading web content, including looking out for SEO, accessibility and user experience issues
- Copyediting and proofreading fiction, non-fiction and children’s books
- Freelance copyeditor and proofreader (2018–present)
- Senior digital content production officer, Cardiff University (2007–2020)
- Website manager, International Baccalaureate (2004–2007)
- Webmaster and project assistant, University of Oxford’s Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine (2001–2004)
Qualifications and awards
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) – entry-level member and completed ‘Introduction to Copyediting’ course
- Oxford University – BA Hons in French and Portuguese
- Kaan Sensoy, director, photographer and CGI artist (copyediting and proofreading of photo-guidebook)
- Sophie Jian, global leader and creative entrepreneur (line editing and copy editing web copy)
- Ann-Elizabeth Wittke, fiction author (line editing, copyediting and proofreading trilogy of novels)
- Ginette Gagnon, leadership coach, speaker and author (editing and proofreading business course content)
- Jérrard Wayne, branding organisation (editing web copy for their clients)
- Scholastic-Quill Club Writers for their Write Now programme (editing and proofreading short stories)
- Arzu Tunca, independent publisher at Life Is Publishing (proofreading non-fiction final layout)
- BICERO, provider of lifelong-learning courses for professionals (extensive content editing for website and course copy)
- Hoi T Pham, fiction author (copyediting)
Deborah went above and beyond expectations. A project of this magnitude was a first for me and I was looking for a professional editor with years of experience to learn from. Deborah is exactly that, a professional who takes her time to explain, guide and listen. With her high-quality edits and suggestions, she brought the story to life and delivered a fantastic manuscript. She was easy to work with, highly approachable, accommodating and she even delivered a few of our milestones ahead of schedule. I’m looking forward to our next project in the near future!
Ann-Elizabeth Wittke, fiction author
Deborah is the best proofreader we have worked with, thorough, responsive and fair pricing. Will definitely be working with her for future tasks.
Mark Whittle, Virtual Reality Experiences (VRE) Ltd
Debbie produced fantastic work for us and managed to do it in a quick turnaround. We will definitely be working with her again for any future editing or writing tasks.
Sonia Kaur, Creative Operations Manager, Jérrard Wayne
Fast and accurate work, flexible to work any time. She is awesome. I will keep working with her.
Tattiana Kifile, children’s author
Deborah’s work conforms to the highest standards of editing and proofreading…We’ve been working with her for a few years and rely on her for well-edited work, on time, all the time.
Hemant Kumar, author and founding editor of Quill Club Writers
Deborah was responsive to the many queries I had. Particularly helpful was her feedback as to why she suggested her changes, instead of simply making the changes. The edits were provided on time and Deborah kept me updated throughout the project. Prior to being award the contract, Deborah also generously provided a free sample edit so we could both assess whether our working styles were compatible. She was also available to speak via video conference instead of solely relying on chat. If you’re looking for an editor, I recommend Deborah.
Hoi T Pham, fiction author
Deborah delivered excellent work, going above and beyond my expectations, and completing a day before the deadline. It is clear that she put her heart into the work, not just her mind. The editing and proof-reading is spotless. And on top, she made suggestions to revise some parts based on how it made her feel as a reader, which I find very valuable. She even caught a mistake I made in mathematical calculation! She kept me posted throughout the process, and reached out for clarification when needed. I would definitely work with her if there is another opportunity.
Meltem Kusku, non-fiction author